SMS filtering isn’t working at all

BenF

I’ve attached three examples to this thread where SMS filtering isn’t picking up very obvious spam messages.

I get these sort of messages every few days, and none of them go to the spam location.

I verified that the option is turned on in iOS correctly.

Could contain: Text, Blackboard

Could contain: Text, Blackboard

Could contain: Text

• Share on WhatsApp

• Truecaller Team

Hey Ben! Thanks for reporting this, our team is investigating the issue. We will come back to you when we have more information.

• Share on WhatsApp

• 2 months later...

Hi @Ud_s I’m assuming there’s no update to this?

• Share on WhatsApp

Hey BenF,

Full disclosure: I don’t know how this works, this was just my experience. I am hoping it helps you or someone else. It isn’t specific to your issue, as I had some other weirdness. I just figured I would share, just in case.

I have been experiencing the issue you have outlined. It is frustrating as I get these at all times of the day or night. I would look up the number in TrueCaller afterwards, and it identified as Spam, yet it just woke me up at 3am to warn me “I owe on tolls”; my home City has no tolls.

I had all the settings as per the directions, and I have a 30+ year background in IT, so I was also feeling a bit inadequate in not being able to work this out. I have scrutinised the instructions repeatedly, to make sure I hadn’t missed anything.

On a side-note, my device would also inexplicably lock-up if I tried to go to the “Blocked Contacts” in my device Settings. I was not convinced it was related, as correlation is not causation, however it is curious that it started around the time I installed this version of TrueCaller. My partner has a device, also with the new TrueCaller, and “Blocked Contacts” locks up on her device as well.

In my investigation into call blocking, contact management and TrueCaller features, I discovered a contact called “SPAM” in my contacts list which had a very long list of numbers associated with it. I recall it was used by a previous version of TrueCaller I had a while back. It could have been a different product with the same name, and it had a note at the bottom of it saying it was “created by TrueCaller”.

I am not clear on whether the current version of TrueCaller uses it, however it has been in my contacts since before I used the current version, and I had added problem numbers to it, and had it as one of the “Blocked Contacts” in my device settings.

The idea I went with was that if you blocked this contact, all the numbers listed against it were blocked too.

That may have been how it used to work. The numbers may have been updated on this contact by the previous version of TrueCaller when you manually synced it.

I stopped using the earlier version of TrueCaller years ago, as it just didn’t do enough often enough, and this “Blocked Contact” method was working for me for a while until I could afford something better when the technology improves. The problem was that any number not in the contact would get through, and I would have to manually add it after identifying it as spam/scam.

Fast forward to today:

In a last ditch effort to try anything to get it working again, I decided to kill the “SPAM” contact.

1. I exported the contact, just in case, and saved it as a file in my Cloud Storage.

2. I deleted the contact.

3. I tested the “Blocked Contacts” on my device and it no longer locks up.

4. I refreshed contacts to ensure it was gone on my partners device, and tested the “Blocked Contacts” and it also no longer locks up.

Having two versions of a contact list we both use is annoying, so the contact was in a shared cloud storage location we use for contacts across all of our devices. When I deleted it, it deleted everywhere.

It looks to me like this contact could have caused issues with the current version of TrueCaller. It could be it was corrupted or clashed with the ruleset for the options in the new version. It could just be that the “Blocked Contacts” being locked-up causes an issue.

The option in new TrueCaller to allow callers in your contacts list to go through without screening, also meant it was allowing all numbers against the SPAM contact through, because they are in my contacts list as “SPAM”. Possibly the lock-up of the “Blocked Contacts” exacerbated the issue.

I checked with my partner and she said that previously, even after she added the contact to the “SPAM” contact, they called through again. Of course, it wasn’t going to help as the number was being added to a contact, and TrueCaller allows contacts to be passed through. This was affecting my device also, as we share contacts.

I understand that this has not yet been tested, as I have had no Spam/scam calls or texts since, and it is unlikely to be a cure-all for you or others who are experiencing this. I must say, it certainly wasn’t helping the situation. If you have a contact called “SPAM”, or had a previous version, or if your “Blocked Contacts” is locking up it may help. 

In the meantime, if the TrueCaller crew can work on their end to investigate and resolve this for all, it will be greatly appreciated.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Our picks

• Post in Truecaller will soon come to Wear OS ** UPDATE - We are live!**
      Happy to say that we today have started the rollout of the wear os app to all Truecaller users. We are doing it gradually so if you don't see any changes in your phone app - just be patient it's coming 🎉
    • Post in Truecaller will soon come to Wear OS ** UPDATE - We are live!**
      Happy to say that we today have started the rollout of the wear os app to all Truecaller users. We are doing it gradually so if you don't see any changes in your phone app - just be patient it's coming 🎉

And yes @TSHsoft Samsung watches are supported as long as they are compatible with WearOS 3.0. 

A more detailed FAQ can be found her: https://support.truecaller.com/support/solutions/articles/81000412596-truecaller-wear-os-support  
      So go try it out! All feedback is appreciated 🙏 

• Hi all, 

And yes @TSHsoft Samsung watches are supported as long as they are compatible with WearOS 3.0. 

A more detailed FAQ can be found her: https://support.truecaller.com/support/solutions/articles/81000412596-truecaller-wear-os-support  
      So go try it out! All feedback is appreciated 🙏 

• Safely Send Payments to Strangers or Loved Ones with Our New Feature!!
      We’ve always stressed the importance of safety with online payments and sharing information to keep you scam-free. Our Caller ID, Spam Blocking, and Comments have already protected many users from scams. Now, we’re adding another layer of security with a new feature to ensure you’re sending money to legitimate people and companies.

#StayCertain, Not Suspicious

Imagine receiving a bill payment message from your electricity company. The number is flagged as spam, but you proceed anyway. A warning appears when you try to pay, indicating the number might be risky based on spam reports and comments. You pause, research the number on the app, and realize you almost sent money to a scammer.

The “Check Before You Pay Online to Strangers” feature helps you make secure payments by providing real-time risk assessments. It clears your doubts before sending money, using spam reports and comments from other users on the profile. This feature is currently available only on Android.

Steps to Make Every Payment Easy-Breezy and Risk-Free
      Head on over to the app You’ll find the Pay option in the detailed view of the profile You will get to select which app you wish to pay from

You will be warned before making a payment to a number marked as spam, if you still wish to go ahead you click in agreement, and you proceed to pay.
      You can also use this feature for secure transactions and send money to trusted contacts and merchants within the app interface, streamlining your payment experience. Benefits of the “Check Before You Pay Online to Strangers” Feature:
      Be informed: Always stay one step ahead of scammers by checking what other users write about how they operate in the comments, before sending them any money. Making you the MVP of the online world. Say Hello to Safety:  We give you a real-time risk assessment, warning you about the number being high-risk, based on the spam reports the number has received over time. We want to make sure you take every precaution possible to keep your information safe from users. Indian Payment App Integration: We have collaborated and integrated popular payment apps in India to make it easier to send payments directly through the app to your friends and loved ones or when you are out shopping or paying an auto or cab driver.  Note: Truecaller only helps facilitate payments; please use your judgment when making a payment.

Give this new feature a try we believe it will be a huge help. Please share your thoughts with us! Stay Certain and Safe.
      • 13 replies
    • Know Who’s Calling Even Before Your Phone Rings With Call Alerts!!
      Identifying someone you know is about to call. Thanks to Truecaller’s Call Alerts feature, you won’t be the person everyone dreads at the cinema.

How do Call Alerts Work?

With the Call Alert feature, you can set your phone to silent if you want to ignore a call or move to a quieter place if you need to answer it. This feature uses Data/Wi-Fi to securely send an alert from the caller's phone to yours as soon as the call is made. Available only on Android.

Steps to Enable Call Alerts On Android:
      Head over to the Truecaller app Go to Call Settings Under notifications Toggle on Call alert notifications

For IOS:
      Enable push notifications for Truecaller on your iOS device settings to use Call Alert: 
      Go to Settings > Notifications > Truecaller > Toggle on the Sounds and Badges.

Note: Call alerts only work for calls from Android devices with Truecaller installed. Calls from iOS devices won't trigger a Call alert.

Fun Facts About this Feature
      Call alerts work only when a Truecaller user calls you. As Data/Wi-Fi is faster than a regular cellular network, the notification reaches you first, before an actual call comes through. Call alerts would require notification permission to work seamlessly on the app. Download Truecaller: https://tc.onelink.me/571208033/1fqyddvr 

Enjoy every moment with Truecaller and give Call Alerts a try!! We would love to hear from you.
      • 18 replies