Beware of These Top Scams! Share Your Scam Stories.

RohitG

RohitG

spacer.png

Hello TrueTalks Community,

In today’s digital age, scammers are becoming increasingly sophisticated, making it crucial for us to stay informed and vigilant. At Truecaller, we are committed to helping our community stay safe from scams. In this thread, we will highlight some of the top scams you should be aware of, and we invite you to share your personal experiences with scams. By sharing our stories, we can help each other stay protected.

Top Scams to Watch Out For:

1. Phishing Scams:

• Scammers pose as legitimate organizations and ask for personal information via email, phone, or text.

• Common tactics include fake login pages, urgent requests for password resets, or fake alerts from banks or online services.

2. Tech Support Scams:

• Fraudsters call or pop-up messages claiming to be tech support from well-known companies.

• They might ask you to install software that gives them remote access to your device or demand payment for fake services.

3. Lottery and Prize Scams:

• You receive notifications claiming you’ve won a lottery or prize, but you need to pay a fee to claim it.

• These often come with official-looking documents or websites to appear legitimate.

4. Investment Scams:

• Promises of high returns with little or no risk, often involving cryptocurrency or stock market investments.

• Be wary of unsolicited offers and always do thorough research before investing.

5. Emergency Scams:

• Scammers call claiming that a loved one is in trouble, such as being involved in an accident and request immediate money transfer.

• Examples include:

• "Your son has met with an accident and needs immediate surgery. Please send money now."

• "Your relative has been arrested and needs bail money."

• "A friend is stranded in a foreign country and needs funds for a flight back home."

Share Your Scam Stories:

Have you ever encountered a scam attempt? How did you recognize it and what steps did you take to protect yourself? Sharing your experience can help others identify and avoid similar scams. Let’s use this thread to raise awareness and support each other in staying safe.

Feel free to share:

• The type of scam you faced.

• How the scammer approached you.

• What signs made you realize it was a scam.

• Any tips or advice you have for others.

Together, we can create a safer community by learning from each other’s experiences.

Stay safe and stay informed!

• Share on WhatsApp

• Truecaller Team
Agnes L

For some reason, people like to try to scam me. I get them on Instagram, WhatsApp, and through regular SMS.

One of my favorite ones is when I'm offered a new job! These scams are easy to spot as they always reach out from companies with long weird names. So I turn my scam mode on.

I have some amazing titles nowadays thanks to this.

Listen to this: Merchandise Maintainer. My job purpose: To maintain the products of merchants on major online shopping platforms. 

I always play along with the scammer, having long conversations, telling them the links don't work, negotiating for a salary increase, a promotion, or stocks in the company. After a while, they get frustrated and stop responding. I see it as me keeping them busy from scamming someone else.

Could contain:

• Share on WhatsApp

Posted (edited)

انا زهقت من مجموعة المتصلين الغير مرغوب فيهم من جميع انحاء مصر وخارج مصر 

Edited by Elashry
حرف غلط
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

Scam is real we have to be aware everytime because even if you know there are Scammers around you they will scam you though 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

Scam is real we have to be aware everytime because even if you know there are Scammers around you they will scam you though

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

scam is real we all have to be careful i have fall victims severally on facebook telegram so am wise now no more buying online again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

Scammers are real , always be aware when their remember your,a lot of spirits will be moving around you as soon as the contact you......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

Let's just all be careful 

• Thanks 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

Thank you.it was very helpful

• Thanks 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

My wife had a call stating your husband told me to transfer 10k into your a/c. My wife said okay. He just sent a message credited 10k just like a bank message. My wife just saw a message. Then he called and said he also asked me to transfer 2,500/- as well. He again sent a message, just like a bank message. However, in the message, it was 25,000/-. So, he called again to my wife and said that, by mistake, I sent 25,000 instead of 2,500/-. So could you please send me back 22,500/-? Then my wife checked the bank account and found out that it was a fraud. She has not received any money in her bank account, but just a message.

He mentioned my name and my wife name in his conversation. That's mean nominee name also getting shared by where we register our info. He said his name is Ashok Sharma.

• Like 2
  • Share on WhatsApp

Before I had Truecaller , I had many scam calls . Once someone called my mother saying it's her brother, i was not there, later he requested to my mother to transfer some money to him cause it's an emergency. My mother boldly denied as that guy sounded nothing like her brother. He said " let's video call if you don't believe it's me " she aggreed. They video called but he turned his camera off. She was scared at this point and cut the call. That guy also said that his voice sounded different because of the weather. Since then I downloaded Truecaller and it has seriously helped us a lot!! THANKYOU 💜

• Haha 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

Posted (edited)

They always say I have a parcel of which I didn't order anything. I always identify them by their wrong spellings. 

Could contain:

Edited by Githa
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Share on WhatsApp

Scam & totally fake thing, so beware from it. 

• Like 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

Thank you for the advice. The scam is now like a normal thing to scammers. One day I closed from work and a man called me that he sent money into my account, meanwhile I have not received any messages like that. I decided not to mind him because I realized he was trying to scam me. He called again that[ he was going to call the MTN office so they blocked my account. I gave him the go-ahead. After a minute a lady called claiming she was calling from the MTN office. I asked how I may helped him and she said she wanted to protect my account because she had realized some fraudsters were trying to scam me. Unfortunately for her, she used a Vodafone number to call. So I asked madam, since when has MTN started using Vodafone number as their office line? She was just insulting me and hung up on me. The scammers have developed a lot of strategies in their dealings so let's be careful. Let us pay attention to their tonation, the numbers they use to call us so we will not fall a victim. The lady will try to convince you that they're transferring money to another number for you, but all are lies. Thank you 

• Like 2
  • Share on WhatsApp

I will advise everyone to download Truecaller, it helps us a lot. It detects and blocks all scammer's calls 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

Scamming is a deceitful act.

Do not respond anxiously to any message of suspicious information or offers. Take your time to scrutinize such message over and over again. Do not rush, be patient. If it's real, they will not bother you consistently; but if it's fake (scam), they will surely bother you consistently. Ignore such message or even block it if you can. 

Simply put, do not be excited over an offer you didn't apply for. Do not disclose your information to an unknown source. Even if it seems to be legit. 

My opinion.........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

Just now got a spam msg in whatsapp

Could contain:

• Like 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

Thanks for the latest scam schemes alerts. 

• Share on WhatsApp

I received a call from someone claiming to call from Nedbank. He said he has noticed a suspicious debit order attempt on my bank account. And he wanted to help me to stop it. He needed information on my debit card. I knew what was happening because, and my account was dormant, but I just told him I will go to the bank. He said it would be too late. I said it wouldn't be a problem I will dispute the debit order.

• Share on WhatsApp

On 5/14/2024 at 7:18 PM, RohitG said:

spacer.png

Hello TrueTalks Community,

In today’s digital age, scammers are becoming increasingly sophisticated, making it crucial for us to stay informed and vigilant. At Truecaller, we are committed to helping our community stay safe from scams. In this thread, we will highlight some of the top scams you should be aware of, and we invite you to share your personal experiences with scams. By sharing our stories, we can help each other stay protected.

Top Scams to Watch Out For:

1. Phishing Scams:

• Scammers pose as legitimate organizations and ask for personal information via email, phone, or text.

• Common tactics include fake login pages, urgent requests for password resets, or fake alerts from banks or online services.

2. Tech Support Scams:

• Fraudsters call or pop-up messages claiming to be tech support from well-known companies.

• They might ask you to install software that gives them remote access to your device or demand payment for fake services.

3. Lottery and Prize Scams:

• You receive notifications claiming you’ve won a lottery or prize, but you need to pay a fee to claim it.

• These often come with official-looking documents or websites to appear legitimate.

4. Investment Scams:

• Promises of high returns with little or no risk, often involving cryptocurrency or stock market investments.

• Be wary of unsolicited offers and always do thorough research before investing.

5. Emergency Scams:

• Scammers call claiming that a loved one is in trouble, such as being involved in an accident and request immediate money transfer.

• Examples include:

• "Your son has met with an accident and needs immediate surgery. Please send money now."

• "Your relative has been arrested and needs bail money."

• "A friend is stranded in a foreign country and needs funds for a flight back home."

Share Your Scam Stories:

Have you ever encountered a scam attempt? How did you recognize it and what steps did you take to protect yourself? Sharing your experience can help others identify and avoid similar scams. Let’s use this thread to raise awareness and support each other in staying safe.

Feel free to share:

• The type of scam you faced.

• How the scammer approached you.

• What signs made you realize it was a scam.

• Any tips or advice you have for others.

Together, we can create a safer community by learning from each other’s experiences.

Stay safe and stay informed!

Hello Truetalks community 

One day one person call me and tells that you got a cashback ok ruppess 5000 from phonepe . He said that I am sending a link and it is sent from a personal number when I opened it . It is telling to pay . That person said click on this and your cashback will be yours . But I have not clicked it and said I don't want 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

They are everywhere we just need to be careful and be your friend scammers they don't care who you are to them open your eyes do not for victim thank you all

• Share on WhatsApp

On 5/16/2024 at 2:16 PM, Agnes L said:

For some reason, people like to try to scam me. I get them on Instagram, WhatsApp, and through regular SMS.

One of my favorite ones is when I'm offered a new job! These scams are easy to spot as they always reach out from companies with long weird names. So I turn my scam mode on.

I have some amazing titles nowadays thanks to this.

Listen to this: Merchandise Maintainer. My job purpose: To maintain the products of merchants on major online shopping platforms. 

I always play along with the scammer, having long conversations, telling them the links don't work, negotiating for a salary increase, a promotion, or stocks in the company. After a while, they get frustrated and stop responding. I see it as me keeping them busy from scamming someone else.

Could contain:

I always get this

• Share on WhatsApp

Never ever answer a caller with a 'Yes'... always find something like " i confirm, i acknowledge..." just find something that does not have a yes in it. They use your voice to open accounts and to tap into your account using your 'Yes'.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

I don't have any story for but I'm with you guys.

• Thanks 1
  • Share on WhatsApp

Thank God I Found You. Because I Have Been Scamming.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Share on WhatsApp